The human brain is wired to look for shortcuts. In language learning, such a shortcut is figuring out how to learn vocabulary fast. As I found out, you can get by very well despite a frightening Russian accent and no knowledge of grammar – but, alas, not without words. So every time I attack a … Read moreHow to Learn Vocabulary Fast: The Power of Zipf’s Law
“Whenever I am asked how I was able to succeed in many languages in a relatively short period of time, I always make a bow in spirit to the source of all knowledge: books. My advice to learners can thus be expressed in one word: read!” This quote originates from one of the most famous … Read moreReadlang And What Makes It The Best Language Learning Tool Ever
Imagine that you’re reading a novel – in French – say, Citadelle by A. de Saint-Excupéry. As time passes, you slowly crawl your way through a forest of unfamiliar French words, conjugations, and expressions. You can say that you’ve read more of your French-English dictionary than of the novel, but I bet that was Exupéry’s … Read moreIncidental Learning: How to learn vocabulary automatically
You have probably heard that in order to expand your vocabulary in a foreign language you have to read a lot. You might have even tried reading stuff in your target language… just to realize that your vocabulary is not very expandable this way. Yup. Reading random things doesn’t really work. But, hey, don’t get … Read moreHow to Learn More Vocabulary with Narrow Reading
The more time I spend learning languages online, the more I’m getting convinced that software created by language learners for language learners work the best. For whatever reason. And this is exactly the story of Beelinguapp: an atypical language learning app for language hackers and bookworms in one person. The story of Beelinguapp: 2017 “kickstart” … Read moreWhy Beelinguapp is better than flashcards?
Reading in a foreign language is not that simple as it sounds. On initial stages, your target language literally stands between you and the book, making it hard, boring and incomrehensible. But there’s a way to make your reading task easier and actually more effective. That’s exactly what I’m going to share with you today: … Read moreReading in a Foreign Language: 3 Neuroscience Hacks to Better Learning
There’s a link between reading and language skills. And this link is so strong that many 20th century polyglots were able to learn a language by reading books, whether they had previous knowledge of their target language or started from the zero. The problem is that this technique, perfectly working for our kind a hundred … Read more21 century: Is it still possible to learn a language by reading?
Average adult knows 60 000 words but only 10% of them is a result of deliberate teaching. The rest 90% of words we know and understand comes from oral or written context. Master this technique (incoded in the scientific world as Context Vocabulary Acquisition) and you will find the answer on how to learn vocabulary effectively. And, … Read moreHow to learn vocabulary effectively: the power of context